William H. Maulin

  • Wm. Maulin William Howard Maulin was born Jan. 24, 1927, in Buffalo, Mo., and passed away Dec. 13, 2004.

    Bill was the oldest child of George Washington and Gussie Dean (Doolin) Maulin. He completed school in Buffalo and joined the U.S. Navy on Jan. 12, 1945. Bill served during World War II, the Korean Conflict, and the Vietnam War. His service included fifteen years enlisted and fifteen years as a commissioned officer. He commanded the USS DeSoto County from March 1968 to February 1970. Bill retired July 1, 1975, with the rank of Lieutenant Commander.

    On July 12, he married LT(jg) Margaret Ann Ferguson and supported Margaret during her twenty years of Naval service. When they lived in Maryland, Bill attended Charles County Community College, graduating cum laude. He served as Secretary of the General William Smallwood Chapter, the Retired Officers Association (now Military Officers Association of America). He was a life member of MOAA, the U.S. Naval Institute and The Navy League.

    Bill was preceded in death by his parents; his son, Michael Stephen; a niece, Patricia Suella Epple Behrns; and his father-in-law, James H. Ferguson. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; daughter Pamela and her husband, Ashley C. Fox of Nixa; sister Patricia and her husband, Robert C. Epple, Columbia; and brothers Jack and his wife, Diane, Eagle, Idaho, Jim and his wife, Marilyn, Lahiana, Hawaii, and Jerry and his wife, Cindy, St. Louis; his aunt, Mazelle Doolin, Eldon; his brother-in-law, James R. Ferguson and wife Shoko of Clinton, Md.; his sister-in-law, Lois and her husband, Brendan Considine, and mother-in-law Jean Ferguson, all of Sacramento, Calif.; 17 nieces and nephews; 13 great-nephews and nieces; and many Maulin and Doolin cousins.

    His body will be cremated and returned to the sea he loved. A memorial service will be Friday, Dec. 17, at 2 p.m. at Gorman-Scharpf Brentwood Chapel. A cenotaph will be placed at Missouri Veterans Cemetery in the spring. Memorial contributions may be made to The Scholarship Fund of MOAA, Department 889, Alexandria, VA 22334-0889. [Published 12/16/04]

    "William 'Moon' Maulin GM3 (1949) [Pictured above] Maulin retired from the navy as a Lt.Cdr. A 'mustang' that went up through the ranks. Bill was a good buddy of mine when I was aboard from 1948-1950. Bill served aboard the Mansfield, as I recall, from about 1946 until late into the '50s." - Richard Bowman

W. Hudson Waters

  • Warren H. Waters Mr. Warren Hudson Waters graduated from this life to his eternal life in heaven on Tuesday, June 7, 2005, after a lengthy illness with his family and loved ones by his side.

    He was very dedicated to his family and friends and loved by all his grandchildren and great grandchildren who called him "PaPa".

    Mr. Waters was the son of Jerry F. Waters and Mollie Westbrook Waters. He was a member of Ebenezer United Methodist Church and was a retired farmer in the Rosewood Community. Mr. Waters served his country during World War II in the United States Navy and received several medals while serving. He was a very loving husband, father, granddaddy and great-grandfather.

    Funeral services will be held Thursday at 3 p.m. at Seymour Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Rose Hicks and Rev. Thomas McLendon officiating. Burial will follow in Evergreen Memorial Cemetery.

    He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Jessie Jones Waters; his daughter, Diane Waters Merritt and her husband, Howard, of Goldsboro; his son, Jerry "Buddy" Waters of Goldsboro; his grandchildren, Jennifer Weeks and husband, Frankie, Renae Blackman and husband, Robert, Howard Merritt Jr. and wife, Michelle, Chris Merritt and wife, Amanda, and Jeff Waters and wife, Doran; and his great-grandchildren, Ivy Weeks, Anna Weeks, Kayley Merritt, Brianna Waters, Logan Merritt and Jordan Blackman. He is also survived by his sister, Etta Mae Wilkins of Goldsboro; his brother, Edward Earl Waters and wife, Marie of Goldsboro, and his aunt, Toy Waters and husband, Mosely Waters; and several nieces and nephews.

    He was preceded in death by his daughter-in-law, Patricia Waters.

    Memorial donations can be made to the Veterans Administration Hospital of Durham, North Carolina or to Home, Health and Hospice of Goldsboro, 2402 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro, N.C., 27534; or to Ebenezer United Methodist Church, 3859 U.S. Hwy. 70 West, Goldsboro, NC 27530.

    The family will receive friends Wednesday from 7 until 9 p.m. at Seymour Funeral Home, and other times at his residence.

    (Written & Paid by the Family)

Calvin C. McGhee

  • [Published in the Richmond Times-Dispatch from 11/15/2005 - 11/16/2005] - Calvin C. McGhee (MMCS, Ret.), 82, of Lucy Corr Village, Chesterfield, died Sunday, November 13, 2005.

    Mr. McGhee retired after 30 years of service to his country in the U.S. Navy, serving in World World II, the Korean Conflict, and the Vietnam Conflict.

    He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Gertrude "Scottie" McGhee. He is survived by his son, Donald Wayne McGhee of Richmond; a goddaughter, Cheryl Matchunis; two special children, Donna Waller of Powhatan and Bill Wells of Richmond; a sister, Irene Ellis and her husband, Jack, of Chattanooga, Tenn.; four sisters-in-law, and many nieces and nephews.

    His remains rest at the Bliley Funeral Homes' Chippenham Chapel, 6900 Hull Street Rd., where the family will receive friends Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m., and where a funeral service will take place Friday at 2 p.m. Interment in Greenwood Memorial Park, Goochland.

    The family expresses special thanks to the Staff at Lucy Corr Village, Chesterfield.

    You can sign the online guest book here.

Robert R. Managhan

  • [Published in the Oregonian on 5/20/2005] - Robert R. Managhan April 6, 1914-May 1, 2005.

    Robert "Bob" Managhan was born on April 6, 1914, and died on May 1, 2005, in Portland.

    In between those dates was a life dedicated to the service of his country, including combat service in World War II and the Korean conflict. Bob was a graduate of Benson Poly Technic High School and graduated with the class of 1938 from the United States Naval Academy, being personally handed his diploma by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

    Thereafter he entered service in the pre-war Navy, but his peacetime service did not last as he was stationed aboard (but fortunately not at the time on) a battleship on Dec. 7, 1941, and personally observed the Japanese attack upon Pearl Harbor.

    Thereafter Bob commanded a submarine in the western Pacific for the last years of the war. After World War II he had a number of sea and shore commands amongst his tours of duty before retiring from the Navy in 1962. He retired with a Silver Star with Gold Star and the Legion of Merit with Gold Star for his combat service.

    Thereafter he and his family returned to Portland where Bob went into a private partnership with another Naval Academy graduate before finally retiring in 1984.

    Bob was a lover of classical music, his dogs (including his four kerry blues, and cocker spaniel, Kris) and trips to the beach at Ocean Park, Wash. He had been a chimes player at Trinity Church and a committed alum of the Naval Academy.

    He was preceded in death by his wife of 59 years, Virginia Managhan; and is survived by his daughter, Kathleen Managhan of Jamestown, R.I.

    A memorial service will be held in his memory at 11 a.m. Monday, May 23, 2005,. in Trinity Cathedral.

    Interment will be at Willamette National Cemetery.

    Memorial donations may be made to Trinity Cathedral or to the Oregon Humane Society.

Richard Hellman

  • [Published in the Providence Journal on 12/8/2005] - HELLMAN, RICHARD, 92, emeritus professor of economics at the University of Rhode Island, died yesterday at South County Hospital after a short illness. He lived in Kingston. He was married for 66 years to the late Violet Grace (Zeitlin) Hellman, a linguist and dancer.

    Born in New York in 1913, Professor Hellman and his wife lived for many years in Washington, D.C. before moving to Rhode Island in 1970.

    Professor Hellman is survived by, his son Peter of New York, and daughters Elizabeth S.L. Cooper of New York and Caroline J.C. Hellman of Cambridge, MA. Also surviving are brothers Robert Hellman of Yorktown Heights, NY, Charles Hellman of Hastings-on-Hudson, NY, and Benjamin Hellman of Roslyn Heights, NY. Loving grandfather of 4.

    A Pulitzer scholar at Columbia University, class of 1934, Professor Hellman had a wide-ranging, 34-year career as a research economist for the federal government and at the University of Rhode Island.

    In WWII, Professor Hellman was gunnery officer of USS Mansfield (DD-728) in Admiral William 'Bull' Halsey's fast carrier task force in the Pacific. He held the rank of Lt. Commander in the USNR.

    The funeral will be held at noon today at Congregation Beth David, 102 Kingstown Rd., Narragansett. Burial will follow at New Fernwood Cemetery, Kingston. Contributions in Professor Hellman's memory can be made to The Violet Grace Hellman Endowed Prize in Languages at the University of RI. Arrangements by SHALOM MEMORIAL CHAPEL, 1100 New London Ave., Cranston.

  • "Richard was a surrogate father to me when I was a preteen. He gave me my first bicycle, took me on my first camping trip, got me interested in the Boy Scouts where I later attained Eagle rank and was instrumental in my joining the U. S. Navy in 1947.

    After the war Richard became a member of the Federal Power Commission and it was his small group that started thinking about Atomic Power. He later became a Doctor of Economics and taught for years at the University of Rhode Island.

    The following is a copy of the letter Lt. Hellman sent to me concerning the Japanese surrender.

    Dear Lee,

       We've read in our shipboard newspaper and heard on the radio how joyfully the people at home greeted the Japanese Surrender, and thought perhaps you would like to know how we did it on the MANSFIELD. At 5:30 this afternoon the Fast Carrier Force of the Third Fleet raised the VICTORY BATTLE FLAG. For us on the carriers, battlewagons, cruisers and destroyers. it was our way of saying the war was over! At 1730 the great American flag, six feet by twelve feet was proudly run up the MANSFIELD'S gaff for the first time since Pearl Harbor over three and a half years ago, and the tattered fighting ensign, two by four was hauled down.

       At 1727 the battle ensign was made up, bent to the halyard, and waiting for the signal to hoist. On the second every ship of the Task Force hoisted, and every eye that could bear was on her. Out of the gun mount hatches, on the super-deck, from the forecastle, the mid-ships main deck, from the signal bridge and the open bridge, the 40MM gun mounts and the 20's all eyes went up with her, and every eye was a glad eye.

       Broad and long, solid and strong, she listed to the cool breeze lithely, and our hearts flew with her.

       From Ulithi, 10 degrees north latitude and 140 degrees latitude, we had fought our ship north to Leyte, Samar and Luzon, to Formosa, south thrpugh the China Sea to Camrahn Bay, Saigon, Hong Kong, Canton and back to Luzon and Formosa. We were with the carriers on the first Tokyo raids and the taking of Iwo Jima...from Kyushu to Okinawa and back to Kyushu...then back to Tokyo, to Honshu and Hokaido With our sister ships of Destroyer Squadron 61, we made a run into Tokyo Bay, under the harbor guns, to sink a convoy: a midnight Mass had been said for us on the BENNINGTON during our night attack.

       With a two by four ensign, beaten by three typhoons and a black week-long Nan Hai monsoon, blasted by gunfire of many night and day battles, and borne on the winds of many plane launchings and landings, we fought our ship through tens of thousands of steaming miles in 10 swift months, and through it all the MANSFIELD and her crew came through unscathed.

       And tonight at 1730 with our powder dry, our guns manned, our patrol planes aloft and alert and still shooting down die-hard kamikazes, we hauled down the tattered ensign, and ran up the Victory flag. Six by twelve, bent proudly to the gaff of the MANSFIELD'S foremast, she is our greeting to the world, our tribute to our fighting comrades, our gratitude to those who, before us, gave their lives to this hour of victory.

       If with our fighting friends of all the world, we could win a war, we know that we must win a happy long peace.


    I am sure a lot of people will miss him greatly, myself included. May he rest in peace." - Lee Easton, Jr.

Luther B. Owens

  • [Published in the Okmulgee Daily Times on 10/29/2004] - Luther B. Owens, 71, of Henryetta died Oct. 25, 2004 at Henryetta. He was born February 1, 1933 in Ada, Oklahoma to Stella and Nathan Owens.

    He married his wife Ann at Henryetta, Oklahoma on November 20, 1973.

    Luther was a retired Naval Officer, serving in the United States Navy and also served in the Korean War & Vietnam Conflict.

    Luther was also retired from Kelco Co. in Okmulgee, after working there as a supervisor for fourteen years. He was a member of Dewar First Baptist Church. He Graduated from Pharoah High School and had resided in Henryetta for 31 years.

    He was preceded in death by his parents, a brother: Billy Owens, a granddaughter: Alesia K. Britt, and grandson, Johnny Lee Moore.

    Survivors include his wife, Ann Owens, of the home; four children, Mike Rawlings and wife Judy, Henryetta; Shelley Moore and husband Johnny, Henryetta; Lisa Moss and husband Brian, Salisbury, Maryland and Lanna Massa of Henryetta; eight grandchildren, Angela Deturk and husband Jay, Brian Rawlings, Kyle Britt, Kendall Britt, Sarah Moss, Rachel Moss, Anna Moss, and Angie Morore; also by an aunt, Edith McNutt, Ada; one brother, Kenneth Owens and wife Ruth, as well as a host of friends and other relatives.

    Pallbearers will be Dennis Crosby, Max Crosby, Kenneth Walker, Mike Brown, Dusty Shipley, and Brian Moss.

    Services will be held Friday, October 29, 2004 at 11:00 a.m. at Dewar First Baptist Church officiated by Rev. Jack Vance.

    Burial will be at Westlawn Cemetery with military honors provided by the Henryetta VFW Post 539 and Okmulgee VFW Post 1189. Arrangements are under the direction of Shurden Funeral Home.

    Condolences may be sent to the family by logging on to

Charles L. Hunstock

  • Charles Hunstock [Published in The Livingston Parish News - May 18,2005] - Charles Lloyd Hunstock died Saturday, May 14, 2005, at his home in French Settlement. He was 76 and a native of Denham Springs.

    He was a retired boat mechanic and a U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean conflict.

    Visitation was at Seale Funeral Home, Denham Springs, Monday. Graveside services were at Denham Springs Memorial Cemetery Monday, conducted by the Rev. Tommy Shipp.

    He is survived by his wife, Yvonne Chambers Hunstock; three daughters and sons-in-law, Frances and Clark Vaughn, Jackie and Jimmy Bentley, and Darla and Marshall Peak; sister, Evelyn Summers; brother, J.L. Hunstock; and six grandchildren, Pfc. Curtis Chance Vaughn, Clinton Colt Vaughn, Cpl. John Charles Bentley, Jared Christopher Bentley, Matthew Blake and Haley Nicole Shumate.

    He was preceded in death by his parents, Eustis Joseph and Ada Courtney Hunstock; two sisters, Rosalie Hunstock and Erma Peak; and two brothers, Seigel Hunstock Sr. and Hugh Elton Hunstock. He was a member of Amite Baptist Church, Denham Springs, and the American Legion.

Edwin Harvey Headland

  • Headland

    Capt. Harvey Headland's war exploits were legend

    By Sandi Doughton, Seattle Times staff reporter

    Capt. Harvey Headland helped capture a German U-boat in World War II.

    Capt. Edwin Harvey Headland's wife used to say that wherever there was a war, her husband was likely to be in the middle of it.

    In World War II, he was part of the Navy operation that captured the first German U-boat. When Gen. Douglas MacArthur launched the amphibious assault on Inchon in the Korean War, Capt. Headland's destroyer was the first ship in. Even after he left the Navy, Capt. Headland's work as a military instructor landed him in some of the globe's hot spots, including Vietnam.

    But despite a nearly 30-year military career, much of it in combat, Capt. Headland was proud that he never lost a man, said his sister Winnifred Teeter.

    "That was important to him."

    Capt. Headland died April 8 in Tacoma at 94.

    Some of his wartime exploits read like movie scripts, and he loved to tell the stories. "To anybody who would listen," said his brother, Carl, with a laugh.

    In 1944, Capt. Headland was commanding the USS Pope off the west coast of Africa when another ship in his group detected a U-boat on its sonar. Fighter planes launched from an aircraft carrier spotted the enemy sub, and the destroyers forced it to the surface with depth charges.

    The Germans abandoned ship, but not before activating booby traps and opening valves to scuttle the sub. Determined to capture the boat before it sank, boarding parties leaped aboard and managed to plug the leaks and defuse the booby traps just in time, according to a 1944 Navy press release.

    Today, the submarine is one of the most popular attractions at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

    Capt. Headland wrote an account of another memorable mission, as one of the "Sitting Ducks" that led MacArthur's audacious Inchon invasion in September 1950.

    North Korean troops had penetrated deep into South Korea. MacArthur's plan was to land troops on enemy-controlled beaches at Inchon, near Seoul, and cut the North Koreans off from the rear.

    But that meant ships had to negotiate the treacherous Flying Fish Channel and get past enemy guns on a small island guarding Inchon Harbor.

    "The hazards of approaching and attacking Inchon are considerable, if not miserable," Capt. Headland noted dryly.

    A destroyer squadron, headed by Capt. Headland's ship, the USS Mansfield, was given the duty of sailing into the harbor "to tempt the gunners on the island to disclose their positions." The Mansfield went first. After an eerie silence, the destroyers started firing their 5-inch guns, and the North Koreans responded. Several of the "Sitting Ducks" were hit, and one officer was killed. "From the wing of the bridge, I actually saw shells flying over the ship," Capt. Headland wrote.

    After the enemy guns were silenced, the 15-day battle for the beaches began — and was ultimately successful.

    A few weeks later, Headland's ship struck a mine while patrolling the Korean coast. The explosion nearly sheared off the bow, but no one was killed and the destroyer was sent to the Naval Shipyard in Bremerton for repairs.

    Capt. Headland was already well-acquainted with Washington state. He met his wife, the former Margaret McGinnis, in Tacoma. The couple married in December 1941, shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

    As they transferred from post to post, the Headlands kept a home in Tacoma off and on for nearly 40 years.

    "They were the typical Navy couple, living out a suitcase. They loved it," said Carl Headland.

    Capt. Headland was born in 1911 in Litchville, N.D., where his father was a banker. But the family lost the business during the Depression. With five siblings, his prospects for higher education were slim, so Capt. Headland sought — and won — an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy.

    "The whole family kind of worshipped him as a hero," said Carl Headland, who followed his older brother into the Navy.

    After Capt. Headland retired from the Navy in 1961, he earned two master's degrees in economics and taught at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma. He then spent 11 years associated with the University of Maryland, teaching at military bases around the world, including Bermuda, Ethiopia, Iceland and Japan.

    In 1980 the Headlands moved full time to Tacoma, where they were members of the Tacoma Country Club and St. Peter's Episcopal Church.

    Capt. Headland was preceded in death by his wife. He is survived by his brother Carl of Leland, Mich.; sisters Winnifred Teeter of Henderson, Nev., and Marilyn Imhoff of San Diego, Calif., and several nieces and nephews.

    Services will be held 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Tacoma. Arrangements are by Tuell-McKee Funeral Home, 253-272-1414.

    A virtual tour of U 505, the German submarine Capt. Headland helped capture, is online at:

    Sandi Doughton: 206-464-2491 or
    Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

Morton B. Solomon

  • Morton B. Solomon, 81; reformed police force

    By Sally A. Downey Inquirer Staff Writer

    Morton B. Solomon, 81, of Northeast Philadelphia, the reformist police commissioner under Mayor William Green and the first Jewish officer to head the force, died Friday of heart failure outside his doctor's office in Frankford.

    Mr. Solomon was a 29-year veteran who had risen through the ranks from patrolman to deputy commissioner when the newly elected Green selected him to head the department in 1980. At the time, the Police Department had been accused of tolerating brutality in its ranks and the new mayor had been under pressure to go outside the force to find a commissioner.

    Green said yesterday he believed at the time that he could find someone within the department who would "do things right, by the book."

    Upon taking the job, the new commissioner warned his officers: "I'll make all my decisions from my head, not my heart."

    He instructed officers to cooperate with reporters; improved citizen-complaint procedures; eliminated many desk jobs and reassigned their occupants to street duty; opened all units and assignments to female officers; destroyed about 18,000 years-old intelligence files on political activists; raised money to equip all police officers with vests; and introduced a community-education course at the Philadelphia Police Academy.

    In April 1980, he established guidelines that restricted the use of deadly force and called for the Internal Affairs Division, the Detective Bureau, and a police board to review all shootings by police.

    After the guidelines took effect, police shootings fell sharply. On average, police killed seven people and wounded 20 per year during the 1980s. In the 1970s, police killed about 20 people and wounded 50 each year.

    Mr. Solomon developed a reputation as a tough administrator, and some officers complained to reporters about the sharp increase in police disciplinary action.

    His tenure as commissioner ended in 1984, when Green's successor, W. Wilson Goode, replaced him with Gregore J. Sambor.

    "That was a blunder," Green said. "If Morton Solomon had stayed on as commissioner, the MOVE bombing would have never happened."

    Mr. Solomon grew up in West Philadelphia. He dropped out of John Bartram High School to join the Navy during World War II and saw action aboard two destroyers in the South Pacific.

    After the war, he earned his high school diploma and later took courses at Temple University and the Fels Institute of the University of Pennsylvania. Before joining the Philadelphia police in 1950, he was a prison guard at Eastern State Penitentiary.

    He was called back into the Navy during the Korean War and assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Roosevelt in the Mediterranean. After his discharge, he returned to the police force.

    After retiring from the department in 1984, he was chief financial officer for a medical practice in Philadelphia for three years.

    Mr. Solomon was married to Jennie Zicolella Solomon from 1943 until her death in 1987. They met at Coney Island, N.Y.

    Their son Paul said Mr. Solomon enjoyed traveling - especially taking cruises - and spending time with his grandchildren.

    Mr. Solomon is survived by another son, Peter; a daughter, Lynne Ackert; a sister; and six grandchildren.

    The funeral and burial will be private.

Hugh P. Harrison, Jr.

  • Hugh P. Harrison Jr. passed away Sunday, June 25, 2006. He was born on August 14, 1925 in Anderson, Indiana to the late Hugh P. & Bethel Harrison. He graduated from Anderson High School. He was a 3rd Class Sonar Man on the USS Mansfield in the Navy during WWII. He also was a current member of the Carmel American Legion. After the war he graduated from IU where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

    He retired from Naval Avionics Center in Indianapolis. In his retirement he was an interpreter at Conner Prairie Museum. Through Conner Prairie he was actively involved with the Delaware Indian Tribe and then was made the Honorary Camp Elder of the tribe. For many years he was a member of Colonial Hills Baptist Church where he was involved in many church ministries. In later years he transferred his membership to Trinity Baptist Church of Westfield, where one of his daughter’s attends.

    He is survived by his brother, Richard E. Harrison; daughters, Lenna Allman, Tina Riley, and Melanie May; 6 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren.

    A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 30th, 11 a.m. at Leppert Mortuary, Nora Chapel 740 E. 86th Street , Indianapolis. Calling will be on Thursday, June 29th from 4-8 p.m. at Leppert Mortuary. Memorial Contributions can be made to Trinity Baptist Church of Westfield or Regeneration Reservation (P.O. Box 219, Ft. Thomas, AZ 85536).

[ Return to Mansfield Page ] [ Previous Page ] [ Next Page ]

Email Email