Dale B. Boynton

  • Dale B. BoyntonDale B. Boynton of Granbury, a retired chief petty officer in the U.S. Navy, died Thursday, Dec. 6, 2001 in Granbury. He was 79.

    Mr. Boynton was born Feb. 9, 1922 in Burntfork, Wyo. He married Dorothy Mae Hayworth on June 17, 1998 in Granbury. He served in the U.S. Navy for 26 years and then worked for the Granbury school district. He was a member and served as a deacon in the Acton Baptist Church.

    He was preceded in death by his first wife, Patty Jackson Boynton.

    He is survived by his wife, Dorothy Boynton of Granbury; one son, Stephen Boynton and wife Sharay of Granbury; two grandsons, Stoney Boynton and Slade Boynton, both of Granbury; one brother, Delbert Boynton of Utah; sister-in-law, Nellie Allen of Granbury; and a host of friends.

    Services were Saturday, Dec. 8, 2001 at Acton Baptist Church. Burial was in Acton Cemetery. Wiley Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

    The family suggests memorials be made to the Hood County Committee on Aging, 501 E. Moore St., 76048.

Donald P. Nellis

  • Donald P. Nellis[Published in the San Diego Union-Tribune on 12/22/2004] NELLIS, DONALD P. Captain U.S. Navy, retired, passed away December 20, 2004.

    Born October 30, 1925 in Chicago, he attended the University of Maryland, Central Michigan College and Alma College, and the USNR Midshipman School at the University of Notre Dame.

    After commissioning in 1945, he served in the USS PC 1225, USS R.E. PEARY, USS LST 859, and the Naval School, Explosive Ordinance Disposal, at Indian Head, Maryland.

    In August 1954, Captain Nellis served as Commanding Officer of the USS RAIL, and in 1957 as Gunnery Officer in the USS DEHAVEN. This was followed by duty as Officer in Charge of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit No. 2, duty on the staff of Commander Mine Force, Atlantic Fleet, student at the U.S. Naval Post Graduate School, and Weapons Officer in the USS TOPEKA. He completed his career in the Navy as Commanding Officer of the USS MANSFIELD, USS FRONTIER and USS PRAIRIE. His last duty station was as Staff, COMPHIBPAC, San Diego, California.

    After retiring from the U.S. Navy in 1971, he obtained his Master's Degree in Special Education from the University of San Diego in 1972, and taught at St. Michael's Catholic School in Poway. Following that, he was Senior Project Manager at SAI, an engineering firm in San Diego.

    He is survived by his wife of fifty-two years, Patricia; seven sons, Kevin, Michael, Thomas, Daniel, Martin, Patrick and Brian; two daughters Kathleen and Sheila; and thirteen grandchildren. He also is survived by his sister Patricia Rasmussen, and brother George Nellis, both of Chicago, and his beloved nieces and nephews.

    Visitation will be held Wednesday December 22, 4-8 p.m. at Bernardo Poway Mortuary. Catholic Mass will be held on Thursday, December 23, noon, at San Rafael Parish Rancho Bernardo.

  • "I am Horace J. Brown, I served under the command of Captian Nellis, He was one of the greatest leaders that I have ever known, our crew loved and respected him, we would go and do anything that he required us to do. He also wrote the first letter of commendation that I ever recieved in the Navy. Of course, everyone knows about the famous 'TO SUBIC WITH LOVE' flag that we flew while getting kicked out of Subic. (Smile) He has and always will be an inspiration to me. My wife was amazed that he had more kids than us. We had 5 at the time (smile). The leadership that Capt. Nellis demonstrated was one of the main reasons that I did two tours in Mansfield. May God bless his family as he crosses the big quarter deck in the sky." - Horace J. Brown CWO4 USN, Ret.

  • "Capt. Nellis was my first real skipper. As a former white hat, he had empathy for the lowly enlisted types. I think I would have followed him to hell. He gave the crew a lot of spirit, but he was a great officer." - Tom Harper ADJ3 (66-69)

  • "Like Horace J. Brown, I echo his wish of 'May God bless his family as he crosses the big Quarter deck in the sky.' I reported on board as a reservists doing my 3 years of active duty after going to RD 'A' school. As a young sailor, Captain Nellis set the standard that I used to measure every other commanding officer during my time on active duty.

    There are many things that stand out in my mind about him; the time we were outboard ship to the Osborne which was the squadron flag ship. Protocol called for Mansfield to breast out and let the Osborne depart first. Mansfield breasted out; Captain Nellis stepped out on the Port wing, flipped the bird to the squadron commander and Mansfield departed port before the Osborne.

    Another time one of forward mounts was having hydraulic problems. The GMs had been working on it for several days. Down the deck came Captain Nellis, in work clothes, to the mount and in a short period of time the mount was fixed.

    But, I think, the one incident that will always stick in my mind about him as a commanding officer that believed in his crew, was the first time the ship went to counter battery on operation Sea Dragon. Mansfield was the flag ship for an east coast squad dog. Both us and the Hanson were under fire and the bridge kept asking fire control if they had a lock yet and were told they did not. Captain Nellis wanted to fire on the North Vietnam gun sites with all mounts. Before fire control said they had a lock and were ready to fire 6 gun salvos, the Commodore ordered the ship to turn out to sea and Captain Nellis refused. The Commodore ordered it again and this time Captain Nellis said the Commodore had the deck and con (which the Captain has control of these bridge positions at GQ) and Captain Nellis left the bridge. Fire Control said they had their solution (lock) and were ready to fire 6 gun salvos. Instead, the Commodore ordered both ships to turn away from the beach and head out to sea. Mount 53 ended up firing so many rounds in a short period of time the paint on the barrel peeled off in strips from the end of the barrel back to the mount. Maybe the ship was just lucky that day, because we were not hit that time or during the other 2 runs by Dong Hoi that day.

    After Commander Nellis left the ship for medical treatment I did not expect to ever hear about him again and did not expect to find out that he had been promoted. Then came the military inquiry about the loss of the USS Pueblo and it was, for me, with great pride that I saw that Captain Nellis was the officer in command of the board of inquiry. I still feel to this day that if Captain Nellis had said he was taking the ship into Hai Phong harbor with all guns blazing, the crew would have only asked, 'When?'." - Dale Ebeling OSCS, USNR-Retired

B. Walt Carter

  • B. Walt Carter[Published in the Reno Gazette-Journal 3 February 2005] Burnett Walter Carter went to our Lord Jesus on Monday February 1st 2005. He is survived by his loving wife, Betty, daughter Diana, son Gary, grandson Garrick and brother Duane.

    He was born in Hillsboro, OR, July 30, 1931. He attended junior and high school in San Diego, CA where he joined the U.S. Navy in 1949 as an enlisted man. He met his wife Betty in Long Beach, CA. They were married there and went on a honeymoon to Lake Tahoe. He was stationed on the U.S.S. Mansfield at the time. Their first shore duty was Schools Command, Bainbridge, MD., where Gary was born. Then onto Great Lakes, IL., to the Ordinance school. Daughter Diana was born there. Then back to sea and reported on board the supply ship Hassayampa. Transferred to a cruiser the U.S.S. Toledo. Then the U.S.S. Hamul, a Destroyer tender. Then shore duty at Vallejo, CA at the Surface Missile Systems Project Office. Back to sea to help put into commission the Guided Missile ship U.S.S. Fox. Final tour of duty Washington D.C., at the Bureau of Naval Personnel. Retired LCDR, Guided Missile Officer.

    While he was on shore duty he was head of a Y Indian Guides group. taught a high school group in Church, and made sure the family took tours of the interesting sights around where stationed.

    Moved to Reno, NV in 1971 and worked at Washoe Medical Center as Director of Housekeeping for 15 years. After retiring he enjoyed golfing, cooking and traveling. He was a member of the Sparks ELKS.

    Private family graveside services will be held at Fernley Military cemetery on February 3rd 2005. A memorial service will be held on Sunday February 6th 2005, 2 p.m., at Calvary Chapel Reno-Sparks 220 Edison Way, Reno.

    In lieu of flowers donations can be made to VistaCare Hospice Foundation, 6225 Neil Road, Suite 201 Reno, NV 89511

  • I first met B.W., as he was known by most of us, in early '52 when I first got on the Mansfield and joined the FT gang. We became friends right away and went on many liberties together. We once took in the premier of 'The House Of Wax' at Graumans Chinese Theater.

    I can safely say he was well liked by everyone and respected by officers as well.

    I was an usher when he and Betty were married. Jack Fleming was best man. When I got out of the Navy, my wife Ellie and I went to visit the Carters on our honeymoon, while they were stationed in Bainbridge. We also visited them when they were in Great Lakes.

    We lost touch for a few years while he served out his enlistment, but then discovered they were living in Reno, and since then, we have been very close and visited as much as we could. We were always welcome in their home and spent many an evening playing pinochole or sitting in the hot-tub talking over old times while enjoying a drink or two. We played golf for fun, he never kept score, and we were treated to many trips while in their company. Lake Tahoe, Virginia City, and up to Donner Pass among others.

    What a great sense of humor he had. Who can forget the show he put on in Bremerton. A testimonial to how well thought of he was came in '97, when, after finding two shipmates we hadn't seen in years, he organized a mini-reunion at his place. It was attended by the four of us plus Cliff and Francisca Ransom, Dick and Betty Soyland, Bill and Darlene Bailey, Charles and Yvonne Standley, Ron and Joanne Lera, and Jack Fleming with his friend Peggy.

    B.W. was the best friend I could ever hope to have. I miss him, and also Charles Standley, another great friend. The reunions for me will never be quite the same. - Bruce & Ellie Starkey

Malcolm A. Bidwell

  • Malcolm A. Bidwell passed away on March 16,2005 after a short battle with cancer.

    We don't like to say good-bye to the one we love. It's right for us to weep, but there is no need to dispair. He had pain down here, he has no pain there. We might wonder why God took him home, but at this very moment he is at peace in the presence of God.

    Malcolm was an honorable man who provided for his family. He was a hard worker who enjoyed the outdoors and gardening. He loved to work with wood and had a passion for creating and designing furniture.

    We have four children and six grandchildren.

    Malcolm was a retired Machinist Mate Chief of twenty-two years in the United States Navy. He also had a career with the Pacific Bell Telephone Company for twenty years.

    He was enjoying his retirement in his new home in Arkansas; building a small woodworking shop and planning a garden.

    We would like to thank everyone who extended prayers and concern. - Bobbie Bidwell

Robert W. Hewitt

  • Robert W. Hewitt"Robert W. Hewitt, 77, passed away on Sunday, 22 May 2005, at his home in Jackson, CA, after a long and hard fight with mesothelioma.

    Bob was born on 27 December 1927, in Oakland, CA and served in the U.S. Navy from 1946-47 on the U.S.S. MANSFIELD, DD-728 and was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan during that time.

    He married Phyllis Taber in 1951 in Oakland and spent 30 years as a California State Park Ranger/Manager, living in various parks throughout the state. On retirement in 1983, Bob and Phyllis moved to Australia to be near their older daughter, Christine, and to work on their sheep farm. They decided to return to the U.S. in 1989 and settled in Jackson, CA.

    He is survived by his wife of almost 54 years and two daughters, Christine, of Victoria, Australia, and Debra, of Jackson, CA.

    If there are any of Bob's shipmates who would like to remember him, please contact Phyllis at" - Phyllis Hewitt (25 June 2005)

[ Return to Mansfield Page ] [ Previous Page ] [ Next Page ]

Email Email